Cycle Insurance FAQs

Find out the answers to our most frequently asked questions about cycle insurance.

Do you need insurance for a bicycle?

Whilst bicycle insurance isn't a legal requirement, it
can offer protection for your bike and accessories and provide public liability cover (where available). And with a stand alone policy (not part of your home insurance) you're likely to be able to insure higher value bikes. So it may provide peace of mind to those who regularly cycle.

How many bicycles can I insure under one policy?

You can insure up to five bikes per policy. However, no single bike can be worth over £20,000 unless agreed with ONE PRO.

I have previously made a claim on cycle insurance - will this affect my premium?

It will not affect your premium, but you will need to make us aware if you have made any cycling claims or suffered any loss or damage, been subject to any liability proceedings for more than £5000 in the last 12 months, or had more than two cycling related claims in the last three years.

Is my bicycle still covered if I lend, loan or hire it to another person?

No, our cycle insurance will cover theft or damage to the bicycle only when it is being used by the person insured.

If my bicycle is stolen whilst locked up, will it be covered?

If your bicycle is secured using an approved locking device (in accordance with your bicycle's value), tested and approved to testing standards:
Bicycles up to £750 – Any specifically designed Cycle lock.
Bicycles from £751 to £1,500 – A Sold Secure Bronze graded lock or above.
Bicycles from £1,501 to £3,000 – A Sold Secure Silver graded lock or above.
Bicycles over £3,000 – A Sold Secure Gold graded lock or above.
Or; any other specified lock accepted by us and specified in a written agreement.

I'm going on a long cycling trip in Europe - will I be covered?

Yes, cycle insurance from ONE PRO covers cycling trips abroad (with no limit on number of trips abroad).

Do I have to a certain age to be eligible for cycle insurance with ONE PRO?

We can only insure cyclists aged between 16 and 65.

Will I pay extra to insure my bike in London?

No, you will not pay extra for insuring your bike in London.

What is the difference between a cycling component and an accessory?

A component is an essential part of your bicycle (e.g. handlebars, saddle, peddles). An accessory is an additional part of your bicycle such as lights or a bell and is something that can be removed.

Am I covered for Public Liability abroad?

Yes, our public liability cover will cover you abroad.

Can I make changes to my policy? e.g. I want to add another bicycle

Yes, you can make changes to your policy at any time, as long as you have not made a claim.

Can your bicycle insurance cover a cycle bought through a Cycle to Work scheme?

Yes, we can cover bicycles bought through Cycle to Work schemes and this will not affect your premium.

Do you cover residents of the Republic of Ireland?

At present we can only cover UK residents (including residents of Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).

Can you get insurance on a bicycle?

Yes, you can get insurance on a bicycle - either as a standalone policy or part of your home insurance. Most home insurers will offer some bike insurance cover, but it's worth noting that they may not provide the same level of cover compared to buying from a specialist bike insurer would. With a specialist, there may be a wider range of cover options available to you.

Do you insure professional cyclists?

Yes, ONE PRO is proud to insure professional cyclists.